We visit websites every day and most of them raise the common question in our minds – what technology is that website using?
A website is not just built out of a single technology; there may be a core framework and many other scripts which may aid them.
So why does someone need this information?
- Curiosity – You might be just interested to understand how the website is built.
- You are planning to build a website and just exploring the options that are available.
Whatever the reason might be, let us hope that, it is just used for constructive activities.
So how does one find out what technology a website is using?
There is a website called BuiltWith that will help you to get some of the basic details that you are looking out for.
The most common details that one can get using this website are:
- Webserver used – Apache, Nginx, ISS are the most common web servers that are behind many websites.
- Content Management System used – WordPress, Joomla, Drupal are the common CMS that power many websites.
- Programming Language used – PHP, Ruby, Python are the coding languages that are used for most of the websites.
If you don’t like to copy and paste the website name every time, and would just like to see the details in a simple click, then you should check out the cool extension available in Chrome web store called Wappalyzer. Wappalyzer is also available as a Firefox add-on.
This extension doesn’t require your browser to be restarted so you can just go ahead and try it right away.
Wappalyzer helps you to find what technology a website is using behind the scenes. Click on the icon beside the Address bar URL to see the technology used behind the website.
Note: This extension collects data anonymously for research purposes, if you don’t want to do that just navigate to chrome://extensions/, click on Options for the Wappalyzer Extension and uncheck the “Anonymously send reports on detected applications to wappalyzer.com for research” option.
Please note that either BuiltWith or Wappalyzer may not be able to find out the details for some websites. The reason is, the website admin would have ensured that those details are not exposed and hence they are unable to detect them.